Illawarra Images is a fascinating collection of more than 38,000 photographs of the Wollongong area since the 1800s. Images include people, places, buildings and events.
To find images from this collection, search our catalogue and select 'Illawarra Images' in the drop-down next to the search field.
This wonderful collection has been predominantly developed through donations to the library. If you would like to donate or share images, email the Local Studies Team.
Using our images
Acknowledgement of the Wollongong City Libraries as the source from which an image has been obtained is appreciated, including the unique image number:
e.g: "From the collections of Wollongong City Libraries and the Illawarra Historical Society - P04238."
You are welcome to use images from our collection, however in some cases, you will need to obtain permission from the copyright owner.
- Permission from the copyright owner is required before you publish any images taken from 1 January 1955. This includes reproducing images on the internet.
- It is the sole responsibility of the customer to gain copyright permission to reproduce an image from the copyright owner.
- For more information, visit the Copyright Agency website.
Getting a copy of an image
Low resolution images (72 dpi)
Images on our catalogue are scanned at a low resolution. You're welcome to copy these images, free of charge, from our website.
Requesting a digital copy of an image at high resolution
Before you request a digital image from our collection:
- Locate the image number starting with P for the image/s you require. Image numbers are shown on the full display page for each image on our catalogue.
- You can request up to 10 images at one time using the Digital Image Request link below.
- You will be issued with an invoice, once paid a link to the digital images will be emailed to you.
- Requests may take up to 10 business days to be processed.
|High resolution image 300dpi or larger||$27.00 per image|
Apply to purchase an image
We are currently upgrading our image request system. In the meantime, please email us to request an image.
The Illawarra Images collection is also featured on the ImageLink website, along with collections of the Illawarra Historical Society and University of Wollongong Archives.
ImageLink uses image recognition technology to find similar images across the collections, based on their appearance.
Top image: South Wollongong Beach, 1956, image number P04238.