Nominations for our 2021 Australia Day Awards are open until 2 December 2020.
Please read the information below then use the button at the end of the page to apply.
When nominating, you'll need to choose a suitable award category from the options below.
All individuals nominated in any category will also be automatically considered for the Citizen of the Year Award.
A person of any age who has made a contribution to the Wollongong Community to an exceptionally high standard should be regarded as worthy to be the ‘Wollongong Citizen of the Year’.
A person aged 65 and over on 26 January, who has made a contribution to the Wollongong Community to an exceptionally high standard should be regarded as worthy to be the ‘Senior Wollongong Citizen of the Year’.
A person aged 30 or under on 26 January, who has a contribution to the Wollongong Community to an exceptionally high standard should be regarded as worthy to be the ‘Young Wollongong Citizen of the Year’.
A person or group who has influenced or made the most valuable contribution to the performing or visual arts, or the heritage of the City of Wollongong.
A person/team which has influenced or made the most valuable contribution to the playing, coaching, management or promotion of at least one sport in the City of Wollongong.
A person or group who has influenced, or made the most innovative contribution, in such endeavours (but not limited to) science, technology, education, research, medicine, mathematics or the environment in the City of Wollongong.
A local volunteer, not-for-profit, or service organisation based in the City of Wollongong which has made an outstanding contribution to the people of the City of Wollongong.
A person or group that has shown outstanding and innovative contributions that promote social inclusion, acceptance and understanding of human diversity in the City of Wollongong.
A person who has a strong Wollongong Connection but who is no longer residing in the City, but who is achieving great things nationally and/or internationally in any field of endeavour.
The Selection Panel will assess nominations using the selection criteria below. Please make sure your application addresses each of these criterion.
- How has the nominee given outstanding service and/or made significant positive contributions that benefited the community of the City of Wollongong, in recent times?
- Give examples of the nominee’s outstanding achievements in Wollongong over a number of years.
- Give examples of how the nominee has inspired others in the Wollongong community through their leadership, innovation, achievements or creativity.
- Has the nominee overcome difficulties and challenges, and demonstrated courage, sacrifice and/or tenacity in their service to the Wollongong community?
- Has the nominee demonstrated excellence in their field or area of endeavour and to the community of Wollongong, and why is their contribution considered extraordinary?
The Australia Day Committee will also consider the following in assessing and comparing nominations against the above criteria:
- Personal and professional achievements, particularly in the past two years
- Contribution in the relevant field (how has the nominee ‘put back’ into their field to benefit others)
- Demonstrated leadership, innovation and creativity
- Contribution to the regional community and/or economy
- Have instilled greater pride in the City of Wollongong as a result of their efforts and achievements
- Future goals and likely impact
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made
- Previous awards and recognition
- Voluntary work beyond paid employment
- Nature and length of activity or service
- Achievements as an individual or as part of a group or organisation
- Any criminal record or previous negative publicity won’t disqualify the nominee, but should be considered by the Australia Day Committee, so as not to bring the Awards into disrepute.
Submit a nomination
Tip: before you start an application, prepare your responses to the Selection Criteria in a separate document, and have all attachments on hand.
Use the button below to nominate someone in the Australia Day Awards.