We are committed to provide opportunities for people of all ages, background and experience to enter the workforce through offering apprenticeships, traineeships, school-based traineeships and cadetships.
These positions are entry level. Our annual recruitment for trainees, apprentices and cadets open in September/October.
To apply for these positions head to Positions Vacant
To hear about the experiences of our current Cadets, apprentices and trainees check out the video.
- 2 years duration
- Part time work
- Completed throughout year 11 & 12 as part of your HSC
- Certificate II or III
- 1-3 year duration
- Various fields across council
- Certificate II to Diploma
- 3-4 years duration
- On-the-job experience
- Earn while you study
- Full time
- University undergraduate degree
- Industry experience while you complete your study
Cadetships combine work with part-time university studies in a related field. They usually take between four and eight years to complete, depending on how many subjects you take each semester.
You will need to qualify for the relevant uni degree to be able to apply for a cadetship. However, you don’t need to be enrolled before you apply.
Many cadets will rotate to different roles within their work area during the cadetship. This gives you a range of experience working with different people, and on different projects.
Apprenticeships generally combine a trade qualification, such as a TAFE certificate or diploma, with on the job training. Common apprenticeships with Council could include horticulture, civil design, plumbing or electrical work.
Most apprenticeships are for four years.
A traineeship will typically run for one or two years, but in some cases can be up to four years. Traineeships can cover a broad range of jobs, from administration to hands-on roles.
- Your Council Officials
- Council Meetings
Access to Information
- Agency Information Guide
- Contracts Register
- Council Position Statements Register
- Council Voting Register
- Current Leases and Licences
- Delegations Register
- Designated Officers
- Development Application Register
- Development Consents
- Development Contributions Register
- Disclosure Log
- Graffiti Removal Register
- Investments Register
- Land Register
- Planning Agreements Register
- Political Donations and Gifts
- Tree Removal Register
- Variation to Development Standards Register
- Jobs at Council
- Fees and Charges
- Plans and Reports
- Council Policies
- Corporate Governance
Committees and Groups
- Aboriginal Reference Group
- Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
- Australia Day Committee
- Community Safety Reference Group
- Floodplain Committees
- Lake Illawarra Estuary Management Committee
- Sports and Facilities Reference Group
- Traffic Committee
- Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group
- West Dapto Review Committee
- Wollongong Heritage Reference Group
- Southern Regional Planning Panel
- Wollongong Local Planning Panel
- Community Land