National and International Selection
Teams or individuals from our city who are selected for national or international sports events can apply for support through our Minor Donations program.
Assistance for Sports Clubs and Associations
We help sports clubs and associations that use Council sportsgrounds to look after and improve their facilities.
Council part-funds approved projects, with additional funding by clubs, peak bodies and/or government programs.
Our Sports Facilities Grants supports our Sportsgrounds and Sporting Facilities Strategy PDF, 1009.57 KB by funding small and medium-sized projects that:
- Increase sportsground capacity
- Renew and enhance existing sporting infrastructure, with a focus on gender equity, accessibility and storage
- Invest in infrastructure to support and accommodate emerging sports and independent recreational pursuits.
Applications for this program have now closed. The next funding round is expected to open in June 2022.
This project is open to incorporated, not for profit sporting clubs that are based or operating within the City of Wollongong on land categorised as sportsground.
Grants range from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $100,000, excluding GST.
Examples of projects that may be eligible for support through this program include:
- Minor refurbishment of amenities / change rooms focusing on gender equity
- Storage facilities
- Seating and portable grandstands
- Upgrade of canteen (excluding appliances)
- Fencing improvements
- Score boards
- Sports field light globe replacement (like-for-like replacement)
- Aeration, top-dressing and turf improvements such as fertilising, spraying etc
- Resurfacing and drainage
- Ground Irrigation
- Water and bottle refill stations.
The following activities are not eligible for support through this program:
- Projects on private land or Council land not categorised as a Sportsground
- Construction projects without Development Consent
- Project proposals that do not meet applicable Building Codes or Australian standards
- New sportsfield lighting projects
- Expenses for external marketing, advertising products, or event promotion
- Training courses, uniforms, safety apparel, end of year celebrations and trophies.
You will need to attach supporting documents to your applications. These include:
- A letter of support from the club or existing users of the sportsground
- A letter of support from the peak body / sports association, noting its support and alignment to increasing sports participation
- Formal written quotations to align with Council's procurement requirements.
All applications must be submitted on the application form on this page.
Applications will be assessed against a set criteria including how the project:
- Increases sports participation opportunities
- Increases sports participation opportunities for females
- Increases sports participation opportunities for juniors, the ageing population. or disadvantaged members of the community
- Provides opportunities for shared use of facilities to other user groups
- Addresses current challenges / shortfalls to your sport
- Directly impacts your sport at a local/ district and regional level if the project doesn’t proceed.
Assessments will be made by representatives of Council’s Sports and Facilities Reference Group, and ranked to determine the priority of any grant funding.
All successful applicants will be required to sign a funding agreement with Council. Projects must be completed by in accordance with the funding agreement requirements.
|Applications open||26 April 2021|
|Applications close||5pm, 4 June 2021|
|Applications assessed||June - July 2021|
|Applicants advised of outcome||late July 2021|
|Funding agreements to be signed and returned to Council||9 August 2021|
|Funding available to successful applicants||after 4 October 2021|
Further details about project requirements will be made available to successful applicants in their funding agreement.
For more information email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Wollongong City Leisure Centres
Our Leisure Centres at Beaton Park and Lakeside offer support programs for local athletes, coaches, and not-for-profit groups wanting to hold fundraising activities at our Centres.
Please visit the Leisure Centres' website for more information.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details