Your Council rates go towards providing services and facilities for the community, and the cost of running our city.
This includes everything Council does, from collecting waste and maintaining roads, to buying library books and patrolling beaches.
Visit our Other Payments page to make payments other than Council rates.
We send out rates notices in July each year. If you don’t pay in full, we will send you a reminder notice each quarter.
There are three ways you can get your rates notice:
- By mail: We will automatically post notices to you unless you sign up for a different option
- BPAY View: sign up to BPAY View to get bills and statements sent straight to your online financial account. Contact your financial institution if you need help with BPAY View.
- Email: register to get your rates notices by email. Make sure you have your rates account number handy.
Copies of your rates notice
If you need a copy of your rates notice, call us on (02) 4227 7111 during business hours. There’s no charge to get a copy of your current rates notice, however fees apply for copies from previous financial years.
You can choose to pay your rates:
- Once a year in full by 31 August.
- By quarterly instalments. Each instalment is due by:
- 31 August
- 30 November
- 28 February
- 31 May.
Interest will be charged for any overdue rates. If you’re having trouble paying talk to us, ideally before the payment deadline.
You can pay your rates in any of these ways:
- Online via BPOINT with your Visa or Mastercard.
- Direct debit: set up automatic payments to come out of your account on a regular basis using our Direct Debit Ratepayers form PDF, 57.47 KB Make sure you read our Direct Debit Service Agreement PDF, 41.43 KB before setting up automatic payments.
- BPAY from your online cheque or savings account. Visit BPAY’s website or talk to your financial institution for details.
- Post Billpay at any Australia Post outlet, by calling 13 18 16, or on the Post Bill Pay website.
- Over the phone by Visa or Mastercard 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 1300 672 936
- Mail a cheque to Locked Bag 8821, Wollongong DC 2500
- In person with cash, cheque, credit card or EFTPOS at our Customer Service Centre, 41 Burelli Street, Wollongong between 8.30am and 5pm on working weekdays.
If you’re paying by cheque, make it payable to ‘Wollongong City Council’ and mark it ‘not negotiable’.
For all credit card payments, a 0.5% processing fee applies.
For residential rates, there are usually four parts that make up your bill:
- A flat base rate that everyone pays to spread out the cost of rates fairly across the city.
- A variable amount based on the value of your land. This is known as an ad valorem. Land values are set by the NSW Valuer General and do not include buildings or any other improvements on your property.
- A waste charge, which covers your red, yellow and green bins being collected. This cost depends on the size and number of bins you have.
- A stormwater management charge which applies to all properties. This goes towards Council maintaining and improving flood and stormwater infrastructure. This fee does not apply if the property is vacant land.
Properties that are rated as business, farmland or mining don’t pay the flat base rate, but instead pay an ad valorem amount, and a minimum amount applies.
You can ready more about how we work out the rates category for your land on our Rating Categories page.
If you have a question about your rates bill, call (02) 4227 7111 or email us.
Each year the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) sets the maximum amount Council can increase its overall income from rates. This is called the rate peg. It does not apply to the waste or stormwater parts of your rates bill.
You can read more about how rate pegging works on IPART’s website.
Pensioners may be able to get a discount of up to $250 on their residential rates. To be eligible, you must:
- Hold a blue Centrelink concession card, or a Gold Card from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA, TPI, EDI); and
- Live at the property for which you receive the rates discount.
To request a pensioner rates discount, fill in the form below and post it to Council, or return it in person to our Customer Service Centre.
If you move house, you will need to re-apply to receive your pensioner discount at your new address.
For more information call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Pensioner Agreement to Defer Rates, Charges and Interest
In some cases, eligible pensioners can apply to have their rates payments deferred. Call us on (02) 4227 7111 to find out if this is an option for you.
If it is, use the Pensioner Agreement to Defer Rates, Charges and Interest form PDF, 31.91 KB to apply.
If you’re struggling to pay your rates, tell us sooner rather than later – ideally before the due date.
In many cases, we can set up an agreement to help you pay over time.
Call (02) 4227 7111 to discuss your payment options, or apply for hardship relief using the form below.
Under NSW law, certain types of land are exempt from some or all rates. This can include land owned by religious groups and schools.
If you think your property meets the state rules to be exempt from paying rates, you can apply for an exemption using the form below. Have a look at this flowchart. It’s a guide to help you understand whether your property is eligible for rate exemption under the state rules.
You can apply to have part of your rates postponed in some cases where it is used differently to how it's zoned.
For example, if you have a single home on land zoned for industrial use, a postponement may let you pay only the amount of rates that you would have applied if the land was zoned for a single home. That means you don't have to pay the extra amount straight away.
Rates postponement is complicated, so call us on (02) 4227 7111 to see if this is an option for you.
If you're ready to apply for a rates postponement, use this form, Postponed Payment of Rates
- Household Rubbish
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Onsite Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Language Services
- Update Your Details