We had a waste depot at Helensburgh that closed in 2012. We're rehabilitating this site to make it environmentally sustainable and improve the local area.
This is a long-term project. Work will be done in stages using best-practice rehabilitation techniques. Some preparation work has already been done.
Rehabilitation work will include:
- Reshaping slopes and some levelling on the site. This will involve moving some waste.
- Moving some suitable earth materials onto the site to help with the rehabilitation process
- 'Capping' the site to reduce the impacts from the landfill on the surrounding environment. This takes into account the different waste types at the site.
We will be finalising designs and these will go to the NSW Environment Protection Agency for approval. Before, during and after these works, we will be regularly monitoring environmental conditions at this site. For details, see our Waste Site Reports page.
Construction hours for this project are expected to be:
- 7am - 5pm Monday to Friday
- 8.15am - 1pm Saturday
- No work on Sundays or public holidays.
We may also need to do some additional work outside these hours.
Nearby residents may notice some temporary impacts during work hours throughout the project. This could include:
- Odour from the movement of waste. We will cover the waste with at least 150mm of clean soil at the end of each day to try and minimise odour.
- Possible noise and dust from the movement of machinery on the site.
- Heavy vehicle movements along Parkes Street into Halls Road and Nixon Place during work hours.
We will keep residents regularly updated about what's happening with this project.
If you have questions or concerns about the impact of this project, email Council or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
- COVID-Safe Construction Plans
- Current Works and Projects
- Ongoing Projects
- Future Works and Projects
- Road Resurfacing
- Tenders, Quotations and EOIs
- Sustainability at Council