Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Traffic and Parking Issues

Use the links below to report problems with traffic, parking or abandoned vehicles.

We can only respond to reports during normal business hours.

If you need help with an urgent traffic issue outside business hours, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or Wollongong Highway Patrol on (02) 4283 0211.

We enforce parking rules to keep traffic flowing and safe for road users. Fines are issued to people who don’t follow the rules.

Parking issues you can report to us include:

  • Car parked across driveways
  • Parking that does not meet rules shown on a sign
  • Illegal parking in clearways
  • Car parked so it blocks another vehicle
  • Parking on a footpath, nature strip, park or reserve
  • Illegal parking in a school zone
  • Parking in an accessible space (ie for people with a disability) without a Mobility Parking Scheme permit displayed.

If a parking issue is happening in business hours, it’s best to call us on (02) 4227 7111 so we can respond quickly.

You can also report issues online using the button below.

If a parking meter isn’t working, call the Parking Meter Fault Line on 1300 994 392.

You should purchase a ticket from the next nearest working meter.

If you have paid twice because of a faulty meter, you can get the cost of the second ticket refunded if you reported the fault. Fill in a Parking Meter Refund Request Form PDF, 32.47 KB and bring it with the original ticket to our Customer Service Centre at 41 Burelli Street, Wollongong.

Council will only investigate abandoned vehicle reports if:

  • It is not known who owns the vehicle, or
  • The vehicle is not registered, and there is evidence that the owner doesn’t live nearby.

The vehicle must also be:

  • On public land, or
  • On private land that is open and accessible to the public like shopping centres, restaurants or residential complex parking areas. In these cases, the report must be made by the  property manager or strata body and include a statement that every attempt has been made to try and find the owner of the vehicle with no success.

To report an abandoned car that meets these conditions, call us on (02) 4227 7111 or use the button below.

We do not investigate vehicles that are are legally parked or on private property which is not accessible to the public.

You will need to contact the Police on 131 444 for help with suspected abandoned vehicles that are:

  • Registered, or
  • Unregistered and the owner can be identified and lives nearby.

How we handle abandoned vehicle reports

When we’re investigating a suspected abandoned vehicle, we put an orange sticker on it.

We'll try to contact its last registered owner. If we don’t get a response within seven working days, we'll start the process of removing the vehicle.

In emergency cases, or if the vehicle is a hazard, we may remove it sooner.

Vehicles parked for long periods of time

It is legal for a car to stay parked in one spot for a long time as long as it is registered, in good order, and parked in line with NSW Road Rules.

Traffic issues not managed by Council

Below are details of some traffic-related issues that we don't handle.

Enforcing speeding rules in managed by NSW Police.

To report a speeding issue, you can call the Police Assistance Line 131 444, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Concerns about noisy vehicles can be reported to the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) on 131 555.