Wollongong has plenty of amazing scenery and locations for filming and photography.
Filming and photography in September 2022
Wollongong is hosting the 2022 UCI Road World Championships in September. This major international sporting event will involve multiple road closures across the city, and changes to some local services. To support preparations and the event itself, no filming or photography applications will be approved for September 2022.
Applications for filming or photography will be unavailable from Friday 12 August until Friday 30 September 2022.
If you wish to shoot in August, please lodge your application as early as possible, noting the dates above. See the ‘Lead times’ section of this page for more details.
UCI-related filming and photography
For enquiries about filming and photography related to the 2022 UCI Road World Championships, please email Wollongong 2022 (the local organising committee).
When you need permission
Commercial filming and photography
To film or photograph on land owned or managed by Wollongong City Council for commercial reasons, you will need to get permission by lodging an application.
This applies to all filming-related activity (including filming, parking, catering, unit sites, etc) at locations including:
- Outdoor areas such as parks, beaches, lookouts, road, footpaths, car parks and other open spaces.
- Indoor spaces such as aquatic centres, libraries or community centres.
If your filming activity will occur in Wollongong, but not on land owned or managed by Council, you will need to notify us but no application is needed. See the 'Filming on private property' section of this page for more information about the notification process.
Recreational filming and photography
You do not need to get approval from, or notify, Council for recreational filming and photography shoots. This applies to:
- Videography and photography as a hobby (including drone use)
- Student videography and photography
- Wedding videography and photography (including drone use) – for more information, please see the 'Wedding photography and videography' section of this page.
Filming and photography applications will be unavailable from 12 August to 30 September. Please note the following lead times for filming and photography shoots to be held in August:
- Applications for filming or photography involving road closures must be lodged at least 15 working days before 12 August.
Detailed road closure information for the UCI event will be available from Wollongong 2022, the local organising committee, in July. Check the Wollongong 2022 website for details.
- All other filming or photography applications must be lodged at least 10 days before 12 August.
- No late applications will be accepted for shoots held in August.
- We ask that all applications are lodged at least 10 working days before your shoot. This allows time for assessment and approval.
- If your filming application includes road closures, you must lodge at least 15 working days before your bump-in date.
- While assessment of late application (less than 5 business days) is possible in unique circumstances, late application fees apply.
- Please note: applications received less than 2 business days before bump-in will not be assessed.
Applications must be lodged with full and complete details. Any changes to your application after lodgement will incur additional fees.
Applications with missing or incomplete details may not be assessed in time.
Steps to lodge a filming application
You must get approval to film for commercial purposes on land that is owned or managed by Wollongong City Council.
If none of your filming activity, including unit sites, parking and shooting, will occur on Wollongong City Council owned or managed land, you will not need a permit. However, in these cases you will need to notify us of your activity. See the Filming on private property section of this page for more information.
Your application will need to have the following attachments:
- A detailed map for EACH location that is owned/managed by Wollongong City Council. This should include the location of filming activity, unit base, all vehicles, drone launching and landing, and any temporary structures involved in your shoot.
- A copy of your COVID Safety Plan, Risk Management, and Shooting Schedule.
- You may also include a Traffic Management Plan, Environmental Plan, Resident Notification Plan and Drone Licenses if these are relevant to your proposed activity.
- A copy of your Public Liability insurance (minimum $20 million), noting Wollongong City Council as an interested party.
- Evidence of permission or notification to other agencies and private landowners (if applicable).
If you have any questions about your application, please call Council on (02) 4227 7111 or email our Events team.
Once you are logged in, select Lodge an Application, then Use of Public Land and Filming and Photography.
During this process you'll need to pay the application fee, which is determined by the size of your production. For more information about fees and charges, please see below.
Please note: applications must be lodged with full and complete details. Any changes to your application after lodgement are subject to additional fees.
A Filming Officer will contact you about your application. If we require revisions or changes, we will work with you throughout the process.
Depending on the specific requirements for your film shoot, you may need to provide additional documents like traffic control plans, road occupancy licences or NSW Police approvals.
If your activity is approved, we will issue you with a permit that includes approved details and conditions. You must have this permit with you onsite during bump-in, filming and bump-out.
Want exclusive use of a park, beach or other outdoor space for your shoot? You’ll need to make a beach or park booking.
You may also need Council’s permission if your shoot will impact other public spaces.
To confirm if a site is Crown Land call us on (02) 4227 7111.
If you’re filming private property, you don’t need to apply for a permit, but you will need to notify Wollongong City Council if your shoot is for commercial purposes.
Please email us the following information:
- Company details
- A description of the filming to take place
- The proposed location/s for your shoot
- Start and end dates / times
- Number of Cast, Crew and vehicles involved
- Drone information (if applicable)
- Details of expected disruption to the surrounding area such as noise, vibrations, release of smells and the use of lighting or special effects.
- Copies of resident notification letters / plan.
- Copies of approvals that you need from other public authorities such as the Police.
You must also follow the NSW Government’s planning restrictions that relate to the property.
Sea Cliff Bridge and Lawrence Hargrave Drive are popular locations for film and photography shoots.
If you have questions about a proposed filming activity that includes Sea Cliff Bridge or Lawrence Hargrave Drive, call Transport for NSW on (02) 8396 1517 or email Transport for NSW.
Please note: if you are planning to launch or land a drone on Council land near Sea Cliff Bride or Lawrence Hargrave Drive, you will need to apply to Council for permission.
If you want to close a road or stop traffic for your shoot, you will need to get separate approval from Council or Transport for NSW. You should allow a minimum of 12 weeks for the road closure approval process.
- For closures on local roads, you will need approval from Council through a Section 138 Application. See our Works on Roads and Footpaths page for details and a link to our online application form.
- For closures on state or regional roads, you will need approval from Transport for NSW.
If your filming application to Council includes road closures, you must lodge at least 15 working days before your bump-in date.
Before you fly a drone or UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle), it’s important you know the regulations that apply. You must include proof of the correct licences in your application.
Visit the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) website to see all the rules that apply.
If you are proposing to launch, land or operate a drone on Council land for commercial purposes, you will need to apply to Wollongong City Council for permission.
If you are proposing to launch, land or operate a drone for commercial purposes on land that is not owned or managed by Council, you don't need to apply for permission, but you must notify Wollongong City Council by email. See the Filming on private property section above for details of the information you should include in your notification.
You generally don’t need permission or a booking to take wedding photos in public spaces across Wollongong. We just ask that you don’t disturb other people enjoying these areas.
If you’re planning a more complex photo shoot, you may need to submit an application. Please email us or call (02) 4227 7111 to discuss your plans with a Filming Officer before lodging so we can determine what is required.
If you want exclusive use of an area for wedding photography, you will also need to make a beach or park booking.
Please note: initial applications for ultra-low impact shoots are free. However, if there are any changes to your ultra-low impact shoot (such as date, location or scope) you will have to reapply and pay a fee for reassessment. This fee may vary depending on the changes made.
If these changes result in your shoot falling into a different impact level, fees for the new impact level will apply.
- Ultra-low impact: Less than 10 crew, 1-2 locations only, no lighting, infrastructure, or unit base.
- Low impact: 11–25 crew, 1- 3 locations, minimal equipment and lighting, small unit base.
- Medium impact: 26–50 crew, 1-5 locations, some equipment (including dolly, jibs), unit base.
- High impact: More than 50 crew, 1 or more locations, road closures, extensive equipment, large unit base.
|Parent HierachyArea||Fee NameFee Name||GSTGST||Current Fee (incl. GST)Current Fee (incl. GST)|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameUltra Low Impact||GSTN||Fee DescriptionFree|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameLow Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$150.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameFilming Reassessment - Low Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$112.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameMedium Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$300.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameFilming Reassessment - Medium Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$225.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameHigh Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$500.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameFilming Reassessment - High Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$375.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameCost recovery for services provided by Council||GSTN||Fee Descriptionat direct cost|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameBond||GSTN||Fee Description$555 up to $1,110|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Filming Application Fees||Fee NameFast Track Fee - Filming||GSTN||Current Fee$100.00|
|Parent HierachyArea||Fee NameFee Name||GSTGST||Current Fee (incl. GST)Current Fee (incl. GST)|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NameUltra Low Photography Fee - Commercial||GSTN||Current Fee$25.50|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NamePhotography Reassessment - Ultra Low Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$19.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NameLow Impact – 11 – 25 crew and cast, up to 4 vans / trucks, minimal equipment, no construction||GSTN||Current Fee$53.50|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NamePhotography Reassessment - Low Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$39.50|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NameMedium / High Impact – More than 25 crew and cast, more than 4 trucks / vans, some construction, some equipment / structures, up to 4 locations||GSTN||Current Fee$107.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NamePhotography Reassessment - Medium/High Impact||GSTN||Current Fee$79.00|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NameCost recovery for services provided by Council||GSTN||Fee Descriptionat direct cost|
|Parent HierachyPublic Relations | Photography Application Fees||Fee NameFast Track Fee - Photography||GSTN||Current Fee$100.00|
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details