Notice: Information for our community on Coronavirus (COVID-19) Read more.
Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Filming and Photography

Wollongong has plenty of amazing scenery and locations for filming and photography.

You need to apply for permission before you film or hold a photo shoot on Council-owned land or outdoor spaces.

Applications must be made at least 10 working days before your shoot.

If your shoot is less than 10 days away, you will not be able to apply online. Call us on (02) 4227 7111 for advice.

Your application will need to include:

  • A copy of your public liability insurance certificate (minimum $20 million), noting Wollongong City Council as an interested party
  • Site map of your shoot, including any unit base set up and proposed parking locations
  • Description of production vehicles and registration details
  • Any other approvals that might be needed, such as from Transport for NSW, CASA, etc.

After you apply, we’ll get back to you with a decision and confirm any costs you might need to pay.

Want exclusive use of a park, beach or other outdoor space for your shoot? You’ll need to make a beach or park booking.

Many of our foreshore areas, including Wollongong Harbour, are Crown Land. If your shoot is on Crown Land, you will need to get permission from the NSW Department of Primary Industries – Lands.

You may also need Council’s permission if your shoot will impact other public spaces.

To confirm if a site is Crown Land call us on (02) 4227 7111.

If you want to close a road or stop traffic for your shoot, you will need to get separate approval, and include the approved Traffic Management Plan with your filming application.

For closures on local roads, you will need approval from Council through a Section 138 Application. See our Works on Roads and Footpaths page for details and a link to our online application form.

For closures on state or regional roads, you will need approval from Transport for NSW.

You should allow at least 12 weeks for the road closure approval process.

Sea Cliff Bridge is a popular location for film and photo shoots.

To request approval for a shoot on Sea Cliff Bridge, call Transport for NSW on (02) 8396 1517 or email Transport for NSW.

Before you fly a drone or UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle), it’s important you know the regulations. Visit the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) website to see all the rules that apply.

If you plan to use a drone, your filming application must include proof that you have the right permits to meet CASA’s rules.

You generally don’t need permission or a booking to take wedding photos in public spaces across Wollongong. We just ask that you don’t disturb other people enjoying these areas.

If you’re planning a more complex photo shoot, or if you’d like to use a drone in a public area for wedding filming or photography, you should apply for filming permission using the button on this page.

If you want exclusive use of an area for wedding photography, you will also need to make a beach or park booking.